Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Personal Statement

Personal Statement


My initial college experience wasn’t the best or used as efficiently as it should have been. I was just out of high school and had no idea what I wanted to major in let alone a career choice in life. Ashamed to say, yet I don’t regret it because of the lessons I learned, I drifted through college for the first couple of years being completely undecided on what I want to do. I started as a business major, but due to lack of applying myself to my school work, failed numerous classes and was constantly switching my major around to whatever I felt suit to at the time. I had ambitions to own a business, be a physical therapist, join the military, and even fell back on one of my passions, that being music. Although not gaining knowledge as I should have been in school, I was however, growing as a person and experiencing life as it was being thrown at me. From heartbreak (from a previous relationship) to heartache from losing a family member, being low on funds and not having a job, getting kicked out of my mother’s house, to being depressed because I felt I had not accomplished anything in life up to a certain point. My perseverance and determination not to fail myself and those I cared about kept me going, and my trials and tribulations in life have shaped and molded me into the man I am today. I learned that in order to pursue your passions in life, you have to have a strong foundation to support those interests. So I began to consider a career as a police officer in Law Enforcement. I hadn’t fully considered it as much as I do now because it was previously only an option for me. However, the moment that significantly changed my decision was one of my worst fears that actually came to life. I don’t want to elaborate too much on it because it is a very delicate topic, but family members that are closest to me, and that I deeply care about, were put in harm’s way and I vividly remember it being one of the scariest experiences for me. The day it happened I had a mixture of emotions, I was scared yet extremely infuriated and full of anger that I seldom let come out unless necessary. This moment changed my life because it was the day I decided that in order to protect those I love; I would need to attain the knowledge and skills needed to do so. I’ve always felt that I wanted a career where I can assist others in need and acquire knowledge that would benefit me in the long run. What better way to do that than be a police officer…

1 comment:

  1. Way to bounce back from what sound like a difficult past, what you are doing now is truly showing some resiliency. Long as you have a firm belief that that is the path you want to take in life. Than nothing can get in your way but your self. Being a police officer requires a certain type of mentality that not everyone has, and is even capable of having. So, you definitely have that mental toughness Louis, and you can use that to your benefit, for other careers as well. Excellent Job Louis Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete